Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Time Passes

Why can I remember yesterday so clearly. The sun was shining early in the morning. The air was heavy with dew. I can remember the sounds of the birds chirping. I can remember it all. But I can’t understand why today the snow is high and the air is chilled. The sky is overcast and the sun is dim. What happened?

Today, my children came by for a visit. They’ve grown up so fast. The time between the first steps and their first dates is blurred. For a moment, I saw them as they were. I even lost for a moment, a memory. We talked and we laughed. They told me about their adventures. They said the winter has a way of sneaking up on you. I asked about Emily. That got a strange smile from Sandra. Emily was gone away for a time. I didn’t know that. I thought she would have sent a letter or something. She never missed one as far as I could remember.

They asked how I was doing. Of course I miss the house, those four walls that contained such laughter and tears. I wondered why we were not there but I remembered something and then it was gone. Emily’s daughter Sandra was older than I thought. She said she was in college now. When did that happen? Lunch was wonderful though.

There were many tables all around and I said it must be seniors discount day ‘cause there were so many of them! The kids and I sat and had a wonderfully presented meal. I commented on the poor slop that the table next to us had. It was some kind of gross meal and the poor person had their children helping them.


Wasn’t there supposed to be flowers out in the garden? I always loved the flowers in the garden at home. But then, it was the snow. I stared out into the garden. I missed the flowers. Maybe there were flowers under the snow. I asked if we could go home and they said that it was like a hotel for the night. Emily always brought some flowers for my room.

My children are wonderful. But sometimes, they get pushy and I let it go. Where is the sunshine and why can’t I see Emily? I told the desk clerk that, Emily may call and if she did, I wanted to talk her right away. There was something important I needed to talk to her about. Her husband, I never liked him very much. What was his name?

Emily’s daughter, what is her name? I never seem to be able to remember her name. She helped me into my chair. The snow was coming down fast now. I like the snow. It reminds me of things and of times. She said she brought flowers. And they were lovely flowers. I asked her who these other people were. Where they friends of hers? She smiled and told me yes. They were very good friends. They were my friends too, but I didn’t remember where we met. But, they seemed nice.

I asked where her mother was. Emily was always my favorite. I know you’re not supposed to have favorites but when you get to be my age, some things come and go. And I’m allowed to have favorites. I like the snow. The flowers smelled wonderful.

The wall had pictures hanging on them. One looked exactly like Uncle Charles. The nice young lady said it was and she listed off all the people’s names. They seemed familiar but I when I asked her who she was, she smiled and said a friend.

A nice young lady knocked and came into the room. She said that I had missed dessert and if I’d like I could have it now with, of course, my vitamin pills. I ate them, but the pills didn’t taste very good.

The lady said it was close to bed time now and that these people should head out soon as the snow was coming down harder. They all kissed me on the cheek. Sandra was the last to go and I said I miss her mother and she said she did too. She almost looked like she had tears in her eyes. Why was that?

I remembered a time when things were different. But, now that I’m older, I don’t remember as much as I used to. I like the spring. It brings back fond memories.

No comments: